Sunday, June 21, 2009

Went Sailing - Finally




At long last the boat is finally sea-worthy and we were able to take her for a sail. It was fabulous. We had good wind (10-15 knots)and only had to use the front sail and moved along quite nicely. We were out for about 5 hours and had a great time both sailing, and watching some racers that has one whole side of their boats in the water. I think we are too big for that to happen unless we run into really really bad weather. We had some friends from the marina go with us so Chuck could get a good feel for the boat for the first time out. Chuck said she handled really good and feels very comfortable with her now. I am attaching some pictures; one is the sail from my vantage on the boat, the water splashing up towards the boat when we had a little tilt, and a picture of the Captain and is first mate.

Unfortunately 'Dun Workin' isn't quite ready for any long trips as we had planned. We still have work to do on her (project boat turned out to be more of a project than planned. And now because it is the end of June and we haven't been able to head out as planned, the heat here is unbearable (record highs in the 100's with gee-wiz humidity), and we have run out of funds to fix the boat, we have had a shift in plans. The dream hasn't gone away - just put on hold for a while.

New plan. Chuck and I are both going back to work for a few months to build up the "boat fund" so we can get it totally fixed so we can do the long term cruising that we want to do. To accomplish this 'back to work' thing (yuck!!!!) Chuck is going to go back to long haul driving and I am going to do some contract work for the NAED and maybe some other things if they pop up. Since it is so hot in Savannah, we don't want to sit on the boat here, so we are going to move back to Colorado. While Chuck is driving, I will be staying with Aaron and Adriana to start with I(they have a nice basement bedroom and bathroom)and hopefully I can help out with Adri while she is going through her chemo and after she has surgery. If they get tired of me, I'll go stay with Julie and Randy for a bit too. After all, I have all my family in Denver.

We are really looking forward to seeing the family again as we have missed them. I think we will be there at least through Thanksgiving, and possibly longer. We will see. So the concept of "Dun Workin" is now being followed by "NOT" Life happens!

So for all of you who wanted to go sailing with us - the offer is still there, just delayed.

No comments:

Post a Comment